LogoLogo

Torri del Benaco, Province of Verona, Veneto, Italy

province of Verona
This very ancient town and lake port, situated at the centre of the eastern shore of Lake Garda, was all surrounded by walls as other places around the lake, derives its name from the towers of the castle situated on the southern part of the center.
Today it is a pleasant tourist destination with a mild climate, protected from the Northern winds by the Baldo mountain. This allows the growth of a rich Mediterranean vegetation of pines, olive and lemon groves.

Other Provinces of Veneto

Belluno | Padova | Rovigo | Treviso | Venezia | Verona | Vicenza

Info

  • Altitude: 67 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 2,600 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 37010
  • Phone Area Code: 045
  • Frazioni & Localities: Albisano, Pai

Where to stay

History

The origins of Torri del Benaco go back to Roman times. It owes its name to the fortifications of its ancient fortified citadel on Lake Garda (called Benacus in Latin). The imposing corner tower Berengario I, still extant, bears the name of the king of Italy who erected the tower and ramparts in the early 10th century.

In the 15th century it gained special importance when it was made by the Doge of Venice the headquarters of the Gardesana dell'Acqua (a federation of ten municipalities in the area of Verona) with great privileges and autonomy, and an aim to also stop smuggling to the west bank of the lake.

What to see

  • In the area many graffiti on rocks have been found, representing warriors, geometrical figures, animals, boats on the lake.
  • The parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, mentioned already in a document dated 1145. The belltower was added in the 18th century, including remains of a tower of the 9th century AD.
  • The church of Sant'Antonio, on the road from Torri to the small hamlet of Coi, with a fresco on the outside representing the landscape ias it was in 1660.
  • The church of Saints Faustino and Giovita, abot half a mile outside the main center, preserving inside the sepulchre of hermit Pietro Malerba, who died here in 1469, as well as fine frescoes of the 15th century.
  • The Castello, which rises on the place of more ancient fortresses established on the spot already on Roman times. The central castle was restored by Antonio della Scala in 1383, partly including an older castle made under king Berengarius in the 9th century AD. The complex includes three towers, one on the lake dating back to Roman times, the two others built in the 14th century.