Portogruaro, Province of Venezia, Veneto, Italy
Ancient town, famous for its wines and the seaside resorts of Caorle and Bibione, looks like a smaller Venice for the architecture of its palaces. It was part of the Venetian Republic since 1420, and the economy was always connected to trade with the sea.
Other Provinces of Veneto
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Population: about 23500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 30026
- Phone Area Code: 0421
- Frazioni & Localities: Giussago, Lison, Lugugnana, Portovecchio, Pradipozzo, Summaga
- In late August each year Portogruaro hosts a "Festival Internazionale di Musica da Camera"
What to see
- The historical centre, which still preserves its ancient structure along the two opposite banks of the Lemene rivers, with houses having two entrances, one from the street and the other from the river. The medieval borough was surrounded by walls with five gates, three of which are still extant (Porta San Gottardo, Porta Sant'Agnese and Porta San Giovanni).
- The Duomo (Cathedral) of Sant'Andrea
- Corso Martiri della Libertà, sided by magnificent palaces in the Venetian style
- Loggia comunale
- The ancient mills along the Lemene river.