LogoLogo

Asolo, Province of Treviso, Veneto, Italy

province of Treviso
The small town is situated in a fine position amid the Prealpi hills.
Thanks to its mild climate and hospitality it was a favourite retreat for many Italian and international writers and artists - among them Pietro Bembo, Robert Browning, Giosuè Carducci, Ada Negri, painter Giorgione, architect Palladio, sculptor Canova, acress Eleonora Duse (who also wanted to be buried in Asolo), Igor Strawinsky, all of whom greatly loved the beauty of the town and its surrondings.

Other Provinces of Veneto

Belluno | Padova | Rovigo | Treviso | Venezia | Verona | Vicenza

Info

  • Altitude: 128 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 9000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 31011
  • Phone Area Code: 0423
  • Frazioni & Localities: Asolo, Ca'Giupponi, Ca' Vescovo, Casella d'Asolo, Lauro, Pagnano d'Asolo, Sant'Apollinare, Villa d'Asolo, Villa Raspa.

History

Asolo was already inhabited in the Neolithic period, and was a roman municipium since the 1st century B.C. After the fall of the Roman empire was invaded by barbarians, then it became an episcopal seat until 969, when it was included in the Diocesis of Treviso.

In the late Middle Ages, Asolo was under the Ezzelini, Scaligeri, Carraresi, Trevigiani, and finally under the Republic of Venice. In the late 15th century it was the residence of Caterina Cornaro, formerly queen of Cyprus.

What to see

  • The Tempio del Canova at Possagno, built between 1819 and 1830, on a round plan, with both height and diameter of 27 mt, with paintings and sculptors, as well as the sepulchre of the architect designed by himself personally before his death Asolo, Villa Contarini
  • A Gipsoteca (collection of chalk molds) with models of almost all the works made by the sculptor, hosted inside his native home at Possagno.
  • The largest villa in the region, Villa Contarini, in nearby Piazzola sul Brenta in the baroque style, with a huge park full of fountains, small lakes and boulevards sided by trees, whose construction began in 1546 on order of Paolo and Francesco Contarini, possibly on a design by Andrea Palladio.