Livinallongo del Col di Lana, Veneto, Italy
The commune is situated in the valley of the Cordevole river, below the steep, snowy cliffs of the eastern Alps, and is formed of 29 hamlets. The population speaks a Ladin language, and the area is renowned for the production of exquisite cheeses, such as the Renaz, Cherz and Fodòm.
Other Provinces of Veneto
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 1645 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1400 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 32020
- Phone Area Code: 0436
- Map: map of Livinallongo del Col di Lana
- Frazioni & Localities: Alfauro, Agai, Andraz, Arabba, Brenta, Castello, Cernadoi, Cherz, Contrin, Collaz, Corte, Davedino, Larzonei, Livinè, Ornella, Palla, Pallua, Pieve di Livinallongo (with the municipal seat), Renaz, Ruaz, Roncat, Salesei, Sottinghiazza, Soraruaz, Sottil, Vallazza, Varda, Visinè di Là, Visinè di Qua.
- Useful Links: official website of the Comune of Livinallongo del Col di Lana.
It is a fine winter and summer resort, with views of astounding beauty over Mount Civetta (3218 m), Pelmo (3168 m), Marmolada (3342 m) and the Sella Group with the pyramid-shaped summit of Mount Boé (3151 m). The skiing facilities and many of the hotels are located in the mountain locality called Arabba.
First mentioned as Buchenstein Livinallongo in 1027, in a donation by Emperor Conrad II to the Bishop of Bressanone. It belonged to Austria until the end of the First World War. The Col di Lana was war theatre until November 1917, the over 8,000 Italian soldiers who died here gave it the name of "Col di Sangue".
What to see
- the Museo Ladino Fodom at Pieve di Livinallongo, an important ethnographic collection of the Fodom culture, still proudly cherished both in the language and in the costume. On 15th august on the occasion of the festival of Santa Maria Maiou the ladies of the area take to the church baskets of flowers fo the blessing, wearing the typical Guant da fodoma, consisting of a heavy black skirt, velvet decorated sleeves, a flowered scarf on the shoulders, a black hat with an ostrich feather and black silk ribbon, and a short red coral necklace. After the blessing of the flowers, part of them are spread over the hay.