Aosta, Valle d'Aosta Region, Italy
Aosta is the main city of the Valle d'Aosta region in the Italian Alps, at the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
The fertile valley borders some of Europe's highest mountains, including the Cervino or Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa and Gran Paradiso. The valley also borders the neighbouring countries of France and Switzerland.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 583m a.s.l
- Population: about 35,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 11100
- Phone Area Code: 0165
- Frazioni & Localities: Arpuilles, Cache, Champailler, Cossan, Entrebin, Excenex, Laravoire, Porossan, Seyssinod, Signayes, Vignole
- Patron Saint: San Grato celebrated on 7th September.
Where to stay
What to see
- Museo del Tesoro della Cattedrale
- Museo Archeologico Regionale
Aosta's strategic importance lay in its position on the Italian side of the Great St. Bernard Pass, the most ancient pass through the Western Valais Alps, which was already ancient when the Romans founded Augusta Praetoria Salassorum. The title of the local Duke of Aosta was the courtesy title of the eldest son of the King of Italy, of the House of Savoy. The city was the birthplace of St. Anselm of Canterbury.