Bevagna, Province of Perugia, Umbria
A fine medieval borough of Umbrian and Latin origin at the edge of the Foligno plain, it is nestled in the hillsabout 25 km southeast of Perugia.
Bevagna is in close proximity to many of Umbria's most attractive towns such as Assisi, Spoleto, Cascia. It is included among the "Borghi più belli d'Italia" (=Most Beautiful Boroughs in Italy).
Provinces of Umbria
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 207 m a.s.l
- Population: about 5,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 06031
- Phone Area Code: 0742
- Patron Saint: St. Vincent celebrated on 6 June
- Frazioni & Localities: Cantalupo, Capro, Castelbuono, Gaglioli, Limigiano, Torre del Colle.
Originally an Etruscan settlement, it was conquered by the Romans in the first century BC, and named Mevania. After the fall of the Roman empire and the Lombard conquest, it was under the Duchy of Spoleto, then in the 11th century became a free commune.
It was destroyed twice, onde in 1152 by Frederick Barbarossa and again in 1249 by the Count of Aquino. From 1371 to 1439 it was a fiefdom of the Trinci family. Later it was part of the Church State until the unification of Italy in 1860.
What to see
- the 12th-century, Romanesque church of San Michele Arcangelo, with a majestic facade and msaicd in the conmatesque style all around the main door.
- The medieval center, surrounded by a 2km-long circle of walls, with towers and six entrance gates.
- The Romanesque church of San Silvestro
- Roman ruins including part of the walls, remains of a temple and a mosaic near the Porta Guelfa, one of the 6 gates.
- The Palazzo dei Consoli, bult in 1270 in the Gothic style, in the central Piazza Silvestri, with a fine lodge and decorated windows.
- April, Primavera Medioevale, with exhibition of local products and craftswork
- June, Mercato delle Gaite, a medieval re-enactement with historical parade in costume, medieval banquet, competition among the artisans of the four traditional quarters (called Gaite: San Giorgio, San Giovanni, San Pietro, Santa Maria), archery competition.