LogoLogo

Orbetello, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany, Italy

The town rises in the centre of the Lagoon, and is united to the mainland by means of a road over an artificial dam, which divides the lagoon into an eastern and western part (Laguna di Levante and Laguna di Ponente).

The lagoon is surrounded by wide beaches, pinewoods and Mediterranean vegetation, with rocky areas in the proximity of Talamone and Ansedonia, while the hinterland is mostly forested areas or devoted to intensive cultivations.

Info

Population: about 15,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 58010 -- Phone Area Code: 0564 -- Patron Saint: San Biagio celebrated on 3 February -- Frazioni & Localities: Albinia, Ansedonia, Fonteblanda, Giannella, Talamone

History

Archeological findings show that the place was inhabited already before the 7th century BC. The Etruscans fortified the town in the 4th century BC, then the Romans took over in 280 BC. In medieval times it was ruled by many different feudal lords such as the Aldobrandeschi and Orsini, or was under the influence of the towns of Orvieto and Siena.

In 1557 it was made capital of the Spanish Stato dei Presidi and became an important naval base. In 1707 it passed under the Austrians, and in 1736 under the Kingdom of Naples, to be later in 1801 united to the Dukedom of Tuscany. Finally in 1860 it was united to the Kingdom of Italy.

What to see

  • Maremma Regional Park, extending from Principina to Talamone, including areas of Mediterranean vegetation and unspoiled marsh areas near the Ombrone river. In the small center of Talamone the "Acquario della laguna", with specimens of the water fauna of the lagoon.
  • The "Oasi della laguna di Orbetello", an international WWF Reserve with a surface area of 26.22 square km, included between the Argentario cape and the mainland, which is an important bird sanctuary.
  • The Feniglia Reserve, to the south of the lagoon, with a community of roebucks.
  • At Ansedonia, the submerged remains of the Roman port of Cosa and the Tagliata area, made of canals dug by the Romans to facilitate access to the harbor.


Province of Grosseto

Where to stay

Follow us on Facebook: