Manciano, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany, Italy
Manciano is a small town in the southern part of the province of Grosseto.
In its territory there is the important site of Saturnia, an old Etruscan town with medieval walls, remains of a Roman road, and thermal springs dating to the Roman period and still in use today. The comune is further known as the place where the famous silver platter of Ardabur Aspar, consul in 434, was found (in the Fosso Castione, a creek near Marsiliana). Also the nearby frazioni of Montemerano and Marsiliana have natural beauties and ancient sights to offer.
Altitude: 444 m a.s.l -- Population: about 7,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 58014 -- Phone Area Code: 0564 -- Patron Saint: San Leonardo celebrated on 6 November -- Frazioni & Localities: Marsiliana, Misericordia, Montemerano, Poggio Capanne, S. Martino sul Fiora, and Saturnia
What to see
- Montemerano, on a hill surrounded by century-old olive trees, with a beautiful medieval center called Castello, a fortified citadel, surrounded by buildings of the 13th century. The parish church of San Giorgio, is all covered with frescosby Andrea di Nicolo', a polyptich by Sano di Pietro dated 1458 and representing the Virgin Mary with St George, St. Lawrence and St Antony of Padua; and a very special wooden painting called Madonna della Gattaiola whose name comes from a cat-hole (gattaiola) at bottom.
- Saturnia, inhabited since the 12th century BC, as shown by the Puntone necropolis, and later an Etruscan and then Roman town, situated along the via Clodia, with remains of a Roman spa. In the valley below Saturnia there are the renowned Terme di Saturnia with sulphur waters springs at 37 degrees centigrade.
- Marsiliana, with its majestic Orsini castle, originally built by the Languebards, and very ancient Etruscan ruins, especially famous for the Strawberry Festival - Sagra della Fragola - held on the last Sunday in May.
Manciano was once a fairly important market town for the area of the Albegna and Fiora valleys, with a stronghold already recorded in the 12th century. A brief occupation by Siena (1419-1455) left the town an imposing fortress built by the Sienese around 1424.
Where to stay
Follow us on Facebook: