Anghiari, Province of Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy
The name of the town is associated to the Battle of Anghiari of 29 june 1440 where Florentines, supporters of the Pope, defeated the army of Milan; the battle acquired great renown when the Magistrates of Florence encharged Leonardo da Vinci to fresco the rooms of Palazzo Vecchio with moments of the Battle, and Leonardo made first a project on paper then painted a huge "battle around the flag" on a wall.
The paintings were not finished and later were lost owing to drying problems, and Leonardo's drawings were dispersed, but Rumens made copies of them (which are preserved in the Louvre) as well as Biagio di Antonio (in the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin). These drawings by Leonardo were, in the words of Benvenuto Cellini, "the school of the world".
What to see
- the 18th-century parish church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, which preserves inside a painting representing the Last Supper, a work dated 1531 by Giovanni Antonio Sogliani (1492 - 1544) a Florentine disciple of Lorenzo di Credi; also of great interest is a large multi-colored terracotta of the Della Robbia family of sculptors (Luca 1400-1482, Andrea 1435-1525, Giovanni 1469-1529 and Girolamo 1488 - 1556 and their descendants).
- the church of San Bartolomeo in Badia, going back to the 11th century
- the Museo Statale delle Arti e Tradizioni Popolari dell'Alta Valle del Tevere, hosted in the Renaissance Taglieschi Palace, with collections of art works as well as items coming from the traditional houses and agricultural activities.