To the east of the town is a great ditch which defended it on the land side, and beyond this there are quarries similar to the "latomia" of Syracuse, though on a smaller scale. The modern town takes the shape of the Roman camp within the earlier city, one of the gates of which still existed in 1887.
Marsala, Province of Trapani, Sicily, Italy
The Saracens gave it its present name, Marsa Ali, port of Ali. The harbor that lay on the northeast was destroyed by Charles V to prevent its occupation by pirates. The modern harbor lies to the southeast.
On May 11, 1860, Giuseppe Garibaldi and his "thousand" red-shirted volunteers landed at Marsala and began the march that ultimately led to Italy's unification.
What to see
- The Roman Insula: in 1939, during excavations for the building of sports facilities near the Bolo Cape, a wide Roman complex of the 3rd century AD came to light. It consisted of a huge villa and south of it 2 smaller, later houses. The villa had many locals around a wide hall, and to the left the thermal baths, decorated with multi-colored mosaics. In the area also other constructions were later excavated, among them warehouses, Phoenician cisterns, and an early Christian necropolis.
- The Archaeological Museum: hosted in the Baglio Anselmi, a wine-production complex, the museum collects items from prehistoric to Roman times, mostly coming from areas of Marsala, Mazara del Vallo, the ancient Punic town Motia, and the Lilibeo necropolis. Of great interest in the museum is a punic ship of the 3rd century BC, found in 1979 near Capo San Teodoro, the only example of this warship in the world.
- The Enomuseum, 3km to the south west, which exhibits tools of the wine-making tradition of the area, that since the early 19th century has produced the classic "Marsala" as well as other quality wines.