Castroreale, Province of Messina, Sicily, Italy
In 1522 Charles V granted it the title of royal town. After the 1693 earthquake, Castroreale was largely rebuilt in the Baroque style, then after another earthquake in 1783 a large part of the population moved to the coast, which started a slow decline of the medieval center.
What to see
- The 17th-century Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, hosting works by Antonello Gagini, Francesco Cardillo, Andrea Calamech, Filippo Jannelli and Rinaldo Bonanno, a fine wood-carved choir of the 18th century, silverware by silversmiths from Messina of the 17th century and one of the seven sun-dials present in Sicily.
- 25 August, feast of the SS. Crocifisso, a statue kept in the church of Sant'Agata, the highest building in town locally called "u Signuri Longu".