LogoLogo

Licata, Province of Agrigento, Sicily region, Italy

Licata is a major seaport, shipping sulphur, asphalt, and cheese, along the coast at 45 km from Agrigento, the province capital.

Info

Altitude: 8 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 34,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 92027 -- Phone Area Code: 0922 -- Patron Saint: Sant'Angelo celebrated on 5 May -- Frazioni & Località: Mollarella, Torre di Gaffe

History

Founded in the 280 BC and named Phintias after the tyrant ruling Agrigento, it served as a refuge for the people of Gela after its destruction. Under the Greeks, Phoenicians and later the Romans, it became one of the main commercial ports of Sicily. At nearby Cape Ecnomus, the Romans won a major battle in the Punic Wars in 256 BC. The name Licata came from the Greek Alukates, meaning "salty" and connected to the salty waters of the Salso river, which flows in its territory.

After the decay following the fall of the Roman empire, the town rose again to some importance in the medieval period, though in 1553 suffered a disastrous occupation by the Turks.

Ever since the 18th century, the town began to prosper again thanks to its commercial port and the development of the sulfur refinery industries. Licata was an Allied landing point during the 1943 World War II invasion of Sicily.

What to see

  • the Church of Carmine, with attached convent, renovated in 1748 on a project by architect Giovanni Biagio Amico (1684-1754) but existing surely since the 13th century, as shown by the ancient parts in the convent. Inside, ten medallions by Domenico Provenzani da Palma di Montechiaro, representing scenes from the Old and New Testaments. Especially impressive is also the 16th century cloister.
  • Museo Archeologico della Badia
  • the church of Sant'Angelo, preserving a silver urn with the relics of the town's Patron Saint.
  • fine villas in the luxuriant liberty style of the early 20th century in the Monserrato district.


Province of Agrigento

Where to stay

Follow us on Facebook: