Posada, Sardegna, Italy
This ancient town is the main center in the historical district called Baronia di Posada or Baronia Alta (to be distinguished from Baronia Bassa or Baronia di Orosei/Galtelli'), on the Tyrrhenian coast of the island.
The ancient part of the town is in a spectacular position on the top of a hill, where it preserves a particular medieval historical center, with ruins of a castle (Castello della Fava) and a square panoramic tower of 13th century. In its territory there was the Etruscan or Nuragic temple and city of Feronia, now lost, and with this name Posada is in ancient maps in Ptolemy's maps and following until the Middle Ages.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Provinces of Sardegna
Other Italian Regions
- Population: about 2,300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 08020
- Phone Area Code: 0784
- Frazioni & Localities: San Giovanni di Posada, Sas Murtas, Montelongu
It is supposed that, due to the peculiar character and history of the territory, the place was named after the Roman (or Etruscan) goddess. Due to a few archaeological findings, recent studies tend to identify the site (and a possible sacred area) in the hamlet of Santa Caterina, but other scholars prefer to consider it was near the Portus Luguidonis (a Roman harbor), at San Giovanni di Posada.
What to see
- The Castello della Fava, a holiday residence for the Giudichessa Eleonora d'Arborea, and the object of alternate possession by the Giudicato d'Arborea and the Aragon, during the long fight before the Spanish conquest. The castle became then the seat of the Baron of Posada, a title and a fief created in 1431 for Don Nicolò Carroz and formally ended in 1856, when it was finally bought by the kingdom of Sardinia.