LogoLogo

Accadia, Province of Foggia, Puglia, Italy

Accadia coatofarms Accadia is 52 km from Foggia, the province capital and about 151 km from Bari, the region capital, in the Subappennino Dauno, at an altitude of 650 mt that is among the highest in Apulia. The name of the place probably derives from the goddess Eca, who would later become Acca Dia, or from the Latin "Aquediae" or "Aqua cadiva", (=water falling), given the abundance of springs in the area.

Info

Altitude: mt 650 a.s.l -- Surface area: 30.48 km2 -- Population: ca. 2700 inhabitants (2001 census) -- Zip/postal code: 71021 -- Phone Area Code: 0881 -- Patron Saint: St Sebastiam celebrated on 20 January and 21 August. -- Frazioni & Localities: Agata delle Noci
See Accadia on Google Maps - clicking on Satellite View and zooming in, find Via Fossa di Greci (to the east) to see the ancient, now abandoned district.
Follow us on Facebook:

What to see

Province of Foggia

History

The history of Accadia begins during the second millennium BC with the settling of the Dardani. The town was conquered in 214 BC by consul Marcellus and destroyed by Sulla in 88 BC. During the Roman Empire there was a flourishing trade activity, as shown also by the remains of a Roman taberna (=pub). The area, during this period, was also subject to intensive agricultural use.

During the Norman occupation, Accadia was a very small town. It was damaged by the earthquake of 1456; on 21 July 1462, during the war between the Angevins and Aragonese for the kingdom of Naples, king Ferrante I of Aragon besieged and set fire to the town. Later on, Accadia was a fief of the Caracciolo-Del Balzo and finally of the Recco and Dentice families.

In 1811 after an administrative reform Accadia passed from the province of Capitanata to Irpinia. From 1861 until 1927 it was included in the province of Avellino, then returned to the province of Foggia in Puglia. The late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were characterized by an economic stability based on agriculture, but the cholera epidemic of 1910 and the subsequent emigration overseas led to a decadence of the economy. The town was destroyed by an earthquake in 1930 and more recently also damaged by the 1980 Irpinia earthquake.