LogoLogo

Strambinello, Province of Torino, Piedmont, Italy

Province of Torino
Strambinello located on the western border of the Pedanea area, which is that part of the Canavese area comprising the municipalities of Loranzé, Colleretto Giacosa, Parella, Quagliuzzo and Strambinello. Today Strambinello is a fortified village which has in large part preserved its medieval look.

Info

  • Population: about 250 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 10010
  • Phone Area Code: 0125
  • Patron Saint: St. Ilario, celebrated on 13th January

History

Although no documents are extant before 1044 concerning the villages of the Pedànea, the entire area was certainly among the possessions of the Bishop of Ivrea even before that date. In 1142 Strambinello, with Mercenasco, Caluso and Sant'Urbano, was part of the estate of William of Mercenasco, who swore fidelity to Vercelli.

In the early 14th century it was granted as fiefdom to Carlo and Federico Loranzè by the Bishop of Ivrea, and in the following decades was plagued by the disputes between Guelphs and Ghibellines, who finally accepted a truce under the supervision of Amedeo VI Savoy (the Green Count). On 25 June 1430 Giacomo de Pomariis, bishop of Ivrea, gave to prince Ludovico Savoy Acaya the lands of Vische, in exchange for Parella, Strambinello and Baio.

On 15 June 1515 Florimondo purchased Strambinello, and left it in his will on 23 December 1520 to his eldest son Giovan Cristoforo, officially acknowledged as feudal lord by the Savoy Duke; on his death, the fief passed to his maternal uncle Carlo Antonio Dal Pozzo in 1574. In 1680 Giovanni Domenico Bersano became lord of Strambinello and Quagliuzzo. From the mid-18th century the area was directly under the Savoy.

Provinces of Piedmont