LogoLogo

Salza di Pinerolo, Province of Torino, Piedmont, Italy

Province of Torino
The territory of the commune includes the Germanasca Walloon of Salza, a side branch of the Germanasca Valley, covered with grasslands, fir and larch woods, closed by the Colletto delle Fontane chain.

Info

  • Altitude: 1245 m a.s.l
  • Population: about inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 10060
  • Phone Area Code: 0121
  • Frazioni & Localities: Campo la Salza, Didiero, Fontane

History

The name Salza derives from the Latin Salicetum (willow) which probably indicates that willows were abundant in the area. According to another source, the name would indicate a salt source, or a place where the soil is naturally salty. In the mid-19th century in the mountains surrounding the town several quarries of white and gray marble were opened, which were exploited for a certain period and that were probably already used in medieval times since there are signs of previous excavations.

Until 1863 the municipality was called simply Salza, then in 1892 acquired the hamlet of Fontane from Prali; in 1928 it was incorporated in the municipality of Massello and finally became autonomous again in 1947. Presently the townhall is situated in the hamlet of Didiero.

What to see

  • The beautiful 18th century church dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, located in the village of Campoforano;
  • in Fontane, where once several talc mines were active, one of them called Paola, can be visited for about 2 km; at the entrance of the tunnel a Museum Center offers extensive documentation on the mining operation and the main cultural features and landscapes of the valley.

Provinces of Piedmont