Rivoli, Province of Torino, Piedmont, Italy
After the fall of the Roman Empire, in 568 there was a Languebard settlement, though the main agricultural structure was largely preserved. In 726 the abbey of Novalesa was founded, and in 773 the Franks defeated the Languebards and assigned Rivoli to the Arduinici family, who soon entered a long conflict with the bishops of Turin, until in 996 bishop Amizone obtained the control of Rivoli.
In 1247 the center came under the control of the Savoy family, who surrounded the town with walls and developed the surrounding countryside with farming, cereals and vineyards, which were greatly helped by the excavation of the canal called Bealera di Rivoli in 1310. Amedeo VI Savoy (1334-1383), called the "Green Count", stayed for long periods in the castle of Rivoli. In the following centuries a number of disasters hit the town: invasion of the French armies, two plagues in 1563 and 1629, the battles of the years 1690-96 of the Spanish War of Succession.
In the 18th century Rivoli was directly connected to Turin with the construction of the Via di Francia, and in 1871 a railway track, the Ferrovia Economica Colli, was established. In the 20th century there was a massive increase in the population also with great number of immigrants from other Italian regions.