Savigliano, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Italy
It is situated along the right bank of the Maira stream, 33 km north-east of Cuneo, 64 km south of Turin and 75 km from the Ligurian Riviera, and is the seat of an important railway construction industry.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 321 m a.s.l
- Population: about 20mila inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12038
- Phone Area Code: 0172
- Patron Saint: St. sebastiano, celebrated on 20 january
- Frazioni & Localities: Apparizione, Canavere, Levaldigi, San Giacomo, Sanità, San Salvatore, Santa Rosalia, Solere, Solerette, Suniglia, Tetti Vigna
- GPS Coordinates: 44° 64' N 7° 65' E
- Official website of the Comune of Savigliano.
Originally inhabited by Ligurian tribes of Celtic stock, it was a fortified camp under the Romans, as shown by archeological findings, with the name of Salvianum. During the Middle Ages, as most Piedmontese towns, it was a free commune, and was later disputed between the Saluzzo and Savoy families. Since 1470 a thriving printing trade was established, and in the course of the 16th century the original military architectures were demolished and replaced with elegant baroque mansions.
What to see
- The benedictine abbey of San Pietro
- The parish church of Sant'Andrea, hosting the sepulchre of princess Isabel of Savoy
- The Palace of the Cravetta Counts
- The fine church of Santa Maria della Pieve.