Cuneo, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Italy
The capital of its province, Cuneo is located at the foot of the Maritime Alps at the confluence of the Gesso and Stura di Demonte river where it emerges from the Valle Stura. Called the town of the seven sieges, it still retains the plan of a military town, once surrounded by massive walls, with large squares, porticoed streets and beautiful palaces of the aristocratic families of the past.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: m a.s.l
- Population: about 50,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12100
- Phone Area Code: 0171
- Patron Saint: St. Michael Archangel, celebrated on 29 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Bombonina, Borgo S. Giuseppe, Cerialdo, Confreria, Madonna delle Grazie, Madonna dell'Olmo, Passatore, Roata Canale, Roata Rossi, Ronchi, S. Benigno, S. Pietro del Gallo, S. Rocco Castagnaretta, Spinetta, Tetti Pesio.
What to see
- The baroque cathedral of Santa Croce, with a typical concave facade, built in the early decades of the 18th century on a design by Francesco Gallo.
- Santa Maria della Pieve, a very ancient church renovated in 1775 in a rich Baroque style, with frescoes inside and a precious painting of the Circumcision, the work of A. Pozzo.
- Chapel of Santa Maria del Bosco, in antiquity part of the benedictine abbey of Borgo San Dalmazzo, destroyed in 1656 and rebuilt in the 19th century with a majestic neo-classical facade and dome, with frescoes by Giuseppe Toselli.
- The church of San Francesco, founded according to the tradition by the saint himself, abandoned for centuries and at last restored to its pristine Gothic beauty in the 1920's.
- The church of Sant'Ambrogio, whose foundation in 1230 is connected to the events of the Lombard League, when Milan and Cuneo helped each other and in sign of friendship established to share their patron saints.
Cuneo was founded in 1198 by the people that wanted a new place safe from the yoke of feudalism, and was in the early years ruled by three consuls: Pipino from Vignolo, Berardo di Valgrana and Pietro Rogna from Quaranta. In 1230, it was under the dominion of Milan, then of the Angiò, Saluzzo, and Visconti, until in 1382 the town decided autonomously to join its destiny to the Savoy House.
In the following centuries Cuneo was sieged 7 times (as a matter of fact it is also known as the town of the Seven Sieges) and taken only once in 1641 by the French.