Sessano del Molise, Province of Isernia, Molise
In a territory rich of forests and water springs, Sessano is an ideal starting place for the nature lover escaping from the noisy crowded tourist resorts, and willing to enjoy, with the quietness of the environment, healthy, genuine cooking especially tasty in such local dishes as the "maccheroni with beans and fried bacon", a dish of the ancient Mediterranean diet rich in proteins and energy.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 810 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 700 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: San Donato
- Frazioni & Localities: Coste, Pescocupo, Durante, Pantaniello.
What to see
- The "cittadella Mariana", build to welcome the many pilgrims to the church of SS. Assunta
- The Palazzo Baronale
- A huge cross sculpted on both sides.
- The Chapel of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
- December: Living Crib
- 7 August, feast of San Donato Martire.
Sessano is famous for the bloody battle of 28 june 1442, between the armies of king Alfonso of Aragona and the Carpinone Baron, Antonio Caldora, a fierce followers of the Anjou at a time when the letter were losing their supremacy in favor of the Aragonese.
Emigration had its victims here, as when in 1880, in a shipwreck near La Spezia, 31 sessanese emigrants directed to the United States lost their lives.