LogoLogo

Scapoli, Province of Isernia, Molise

Province of Isernia
The little town rose on the sides of the Mainarde, on an elevated terrain relic of a prehistorical glacier, after the first destruction by the Saracens of the Abbey of San Vincenzo al Volturno in 881, when the surviving monks gathered the population away from the abbey and organized them in small farms called "curtes" and created a network of fortified boroughs, among them also Scapoli.

Provinces of Molise

Info

  • Altitudine: 611 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 650 inhabitants in 2018
  • Zip/postal code: 86070
  • Phone Area Code: 0865
  • Patron Saint: San Giorgio
  • Frazioni & Localities: Acquaviva, Cannine, Cerratino, Collalto, Collematteo, Fontecostanza, Fonte La Villa, Padulo, Pantano, Parrucce, Ponte, Santa Caterina, Sodalarga, Tavernaricci, Vaglie, Via Cannine, Via Collematteo, Vicenne.

Useful Links

Events

  • Festival Internazionale della Zampogna (bagpipe festival), last week in July, performances with zampogna and ciaramelle (bagpipes), still built as 2000 years ago.
  • Feast for Patron Saint San Giorgio, 23 April.

What to see

  • The church of San Giorgio, 17th century, restored recently
  • Lombard Fortress also called today Scarupato, which is a kind of pathway embracing the whole historical center.
  • The church of Santa Maria delle Grotte, on the road to Rocchetta a Volturno, immersed in an impressive natural landscape and rich of magnificent frescoes.

Traditions

The fame of Scapoli rests on bagpipes, an instrument invented by the Samnites and then used by the Romans to frighten the horses of the enemy. Still today there are workshops making this ancient instrument, which in the western tradition, being the musical instrument of shepherds, was then connected to Christmastime.

History

In the territory was the ancient roman road connecting Colli to Sora, where the traffic of shepherds allowed the development of an economy that supported transhumance, such as the selling of tools.

Though always under the influence of the Abbey of San Vincenzo, Scapoli was ruled by a number of feudal lords, among them the Borrello, who ruled obver the whole Volturno Valley until 1050 AD. Later on the fiefdom passed to the Caldora, the Pandone then in the 15th century to the Bucciarelli family, until in 1626 it was auctioned and given to Baron Innico di Grazia from Cerro al Volturno.