Scapoli, Province of Isernia, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitudine: 611 m a.s.l
- Population: about 650 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86070
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: San Giorgio
- Frazioni & Localities: Acquaviva, Cannine, Cerratino, Collalto, Collematteo, Fontecostanza, Fonte La Villa, Padulo, Pantano, Parrucce, Ponte, Santa Caterina, Sodalarga, Tavernaricci, Vaglie, Via Cannine, Via Collematteo, Vicenne.
- Festival Internazionale della Zampogna (bagpipe festival), last week in July, performances with zampogna and ciaramelle (bagpipes), still built as 2000 years ago.
- Feast for Patron Saint San Giorgio, 23 April.
What to see
- The church of San Giorgio, 17th century, restored recently
- Lombard Fortress also called today Scarupato, which is a kind of pathway embracing the whole historical center.
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grotte, on the road to Rocchetta a Volturno, immersed in an impressive natural landscape and rich of magnificent frescoes.
Though always under the influence of the Abbey of San Vincenzo, Scapoli was ruled by a number of feudal lords, among them the Borrello, who ruled obver the whole Volturno Valley until 1050 AD. Later on the fiefdom passed to the Caldora, the Pandone then in the 15th century to the Bucciarelli family, until in 1626 it was auctioned and given to Baron Innico di Grazia from Cerro al Volturno.