Sant'Elena Sannita, Province of Isernia, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 780 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 290 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86099
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on September 29.
What to see
- Parish church of St. Michele Arcangelo, built at the beginning of 1600
- The church of St. Maria delle Grazie, built in 1500; inside paintings by local artist Mario De Tollis
- The church of Saints Cosma and Damiano.
- The Museo del Profumo, collection of rare and unique pieces of modern and contemporary perfumery.
- August 18: St. Elena
- September 13: St. Filomena
- September 27: of Saints Cosma and Damiano.
The economy was based on steel works (farming tools, knives, scissors) and in the centuries the clever craftsmen of Sant'Elena went to the market fairs as far as Brindisi and Tuscany. The trade gradually passed from that of blade sharpeners to that of suppliers of perfumes also to barbers. Many children of this now very small town are great perfume entrepreneurs in the world today. In Rome, the Santelenesi are known as creators of an empire of perfumes: over two hundred Roman perfumeries belong to originals of Sant'Elena Sannita.