Sant'Agapito, Province of Isernia, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 565 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1450 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86070
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: Sant'Agapito, celebrated on 18 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Colanonni, Coriemano, Pietradonata, Scalo Ferroviario, Temennotte.
What to see
- The church of San Nicola di Bari
- The Caracciolo Palace, originally a castle, was later changed into a mansion, finally the Marquis partly sold it and partly donated the palace to his former tenant, whose family now owns it.
- 18 August: Feast of Patron Sant'Agapito
- September: "Sagra degli arrosticini", to celebrate the religious feast of Santa Maria Bambina
- Christmas: a big fire in the main square to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
The place was under the Lombards, as part of the Isernia countdom, to pass in Norman times under the Molise Counts, who probably built the castle as their own mansion and to defend the borough. The first feudal lords took the name of the place and were called Sant'Agapiti. Other lords followed: the Gaetani in the 15th century, the Provenzale in the 17th, and finally the Caracciolo.