Roccamandolfi, Province of Isernia, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 850 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 950 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86098
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: San Giacomo
- Frazioni & Localities: Masseria di Rio.
What to see
- Medieval Castle, first built by the Lombards, with mighty walls and towers, today mostly in ruin.
- The church of San Giacomo, inside the statue of San Gaetano by Di Zinno, and a 18th century altar
- Chapel of San Gaetano.
- July 25: feast of patron San Giacomo.
- August: Feast of the Shepherd in the mountains of Campitello with dishes based on typical products like lentils, polenta seasoned with oil, peppers and onions, and roasted lamb.
- First Sunday of June: feast of San Liberato.
Then in the 14th century it was under the Artois and the Roccafoglia, and in the 15th its lords were the Gaetani family, in 1549 passed to Gianbattista D'Afflitto who in 1586 gave it to the Pignatelli family, who kept it until 1806.
The flourishing economy, for centuries based on the seasonal migrations of shepherds to the plains of the Capitanata (province of Foggia), suffered a severe blow when in the late 1800's the lands of Apulia were enclosed and devoted to agriculture.
Between 1880 and 1920 over two thirds of the population left for the United States, Argentina and Brazil. Later on emigrants chose Ontario, where today there is a populous community from Roccamandolfi, and Belgium.