Pietrabbondante, Province of Isernia, Molise
The village rises in a strategic position, on a high rock controlling the important Celano-Foggia and Sprondasino-Castel del Giudice tratturi (shepherds' tracks).
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 1027 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 730 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86085
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: S. Vincenzo, celebrated on August 4-5.
- Frazioni & Localities: Arco, Macere, Ortovecchio, Ragusa-San Vincenzo, Sant'Andrea, Troilo, Vigna La Corte.
This by now small center can boast a glorious history going back to 1000 years Before Christ. Scholars, among them MOMMSEN Th. (C.I.L. Iscriptiones Bruttiorum, Lucaniae, Campaniae Vol. IX - Berlino 1883) identified Pietrabbonadante as "Bovianum Vetus", the Samnite capital mentioned by Roman historian Plinius in his "Naturalis Historia" (III, 17).
In the Middle Ages Pietrabbondante was the capital of the "Terra Burrerlensis". the main lords of the place were Roberto de Cornay, Guglielmo D'Alemagna, and then the De Raho, Marchesano and finally the D'Alessandro families.
- Theater festival in summer at the site of the Italic theater.
- 5 August, San Vincenzo's fair
- First Sunday in October, feast of Madonna del Rosario.
What to see
- Archeological remains of the Sanctuary of Sanniti Pentri, located in Colacatello at over 1000 meters abothe sea level, which is the most important Samnite temple discovered so far, a treasure of art and history. Near the temple there is also an ancient Samnite theater, which showed finally how the Samnites were not just mere warriors, but also a civilized people enjoying art, architecture and culture.
- At over 3600 ft above sea level, the ruins of the ancient Lombard castle, pristine mansion of the Borrello counts.
- The church of S. Maria Assunta
- The Antiquarium.