Monteroduni, Province of Isernia, Molise
A little distance from Isernia, Monteroduni overlooks from the top of a hill the whole valley of the Volturno river.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 468 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 2100 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86075
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: San Michele, celebrated on September 29
- Frazioni & Localities: Campo Fiorito, Campo La Fontana, Campo Sant'Angelo, Capotrio, Carpinete, Colle Sinacchio, Coste San Nazzaro, Guado Largo, Limate, Pagliara, San Nazzaro, Sant'Eusanio, Selvotta, Socce, Starze, Valle Pratese.
What to see
- The medieval Pignatelli Castle, beautifully preserved, with round towers and a typical sextiacute portal, once belonging to the Pignatelli della Leonessa family.
- The church of Santa Maria in Altissimis, built between the 11th and the 12th century.
- September 22-24: Grapes Harvest Feast
- August: "Eddy Lang Jazz" Jazz Festival, in honor of Italian American musician Salvatore Massaro.
In the area there was a battle in 1193 between Berthold of Künsberg, the commander of Norman troops, against the Swabians, for the supremacy on Southern Italy. In the 13th century under the D'Ardicourt family, Monteroduni passed in 1281 to the Evoli, then in the 14th century to the De Sus and in the 15th to the D'Afflitto. In 1668 the fiefdom passed to the Pignatelli family, who kept it until the suppression of the feudal system in 1806.