Macchiagodena, Province of Isernia, Molise
The municipality lies about 22 kms east of Isernia, on the border with the province of Campobasso, and enjoys a wonderful view of the Matese mountains.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 2000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86096
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: S. Nicola di Bari, 3rd Sunday in May
- Frazioni & Localities: Caporio, Incoronata, Santa Maria in Pantano, Camposaccone, Centomani, Collesorbo, Fosso San Biase, Gaudovito, Gauta, Santa Iusta Pisano, Santa Iusta, San Matteo, Santo Ianni, Santo Ianni Marinelli, Terriaca.
What to see
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta, with a fine statue made by Francesco Saverio Citarelli from Naples, and a precious processional cross.
- The Medieval Castle, today there are only the basements of the old walls and two towers.
- A very peculiar tradition, still maintained in the population, is the "rapimento", that is the kidnapping of the future bride some time before the wedding is celebrated.
- A local dance called "tuzzaculo".
- On 17 may, on the occasion of the patron saint, a fine, large trade fair is held.
The present name appeared already in documents of the 9th century A.D. (year 964) as "Maccia de Godina". It was a garrison post between the lombard countdoms of Isernia and Boiano, and later on a sighting post along the Pescasseroli-Candela tratturo (tratturo= shepherds' track). A great number of feudal lords came one after the other, among them the most important in the place were the Pandoni and Mormile.