Civitanova del Sannio, Province of Isernia, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 650 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 900 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86094
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: San Bernardino, celebrated on May 20.
What to see
- Remains of Samnite Walls on the hills
- The Bell-tower, 13th century
- The church of the Monastery of San Benedetto, located in Santa Brigida, built at the beginning of the 11th century and abandoned in the 15th century
- A Stone Cross made in 1441 by Cola de Civita Nova, in the main square of the town.
- Cattle Fair on August 28, along the tratturo Lucera - Castel Di Sangro
- Feast of the Emigrant: August 29
- San Felice: August 30.
Then it was inhabited in the Middle Ages, as proven by the presence of a church and belltower, but most probably lost in importance, and was called "Civitanova" (=new town) since it was build below the ancient fortress. The name "del Sannio" was added after the unity of Italy, to distinguish it from other places of the same name.