Castelpizzuto, Province of Isernia, Molise
Situated amid the Matese mountains, Castelpizzuto faces to the south the Mainarde chain and to the north the Matese massif, offering views of great beauty.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 170 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Phone Area Code: 0865
- Patron Saint: Sant'Agata, celebrated on February 5.
The landscape, the pure air and waters, the forests rich in strawberries, raspberries and mushrooms, the winding, steep lanes create an atmosphere of harmony with nature. In the valley below is the Lorda stream, that crosses the whole territory to flow then into the Volturno river. The village is split into two parts by the Fosso della Cucina, a green ditch surrounded on both sides by ancient stone houses.
The main economic activities are agriculture and breeding, and more recently the exploitation of a mineral spring called "Folgara" and its commercialization of bottled water under the name "La Castellina", a low mineral water of great purity, with strong diuretic activity, and advised in low-sodium diets. There is presently also a project to establish a spa center in the area.
The typical dishes of the place are the soup of farrum and wheat, the acquaonta (whole flour with little water and sauce), the mbaniccia (a pizza made with bread dough and vegetables), polenta with sausages, cheeses made from goat and sheep milk.
- Sant'Agata, the Patron saint of Castelpizzuto is, celebrated on 5 February.
- San Domenico, protector against the snakes, is also celebrated in May, with traditions similar to those of the Serpari feast in Cocullo, Abruzzo.
The name most probably derives from the late Latin "Castrum Pczutum", meaning pointed castle. In the 13th century it was under the Anjou, then in the 14th its lords were the d'Isernia family, followed by the Gaetani and in the 18th century the D'Agostini.
In 1807 Castelpizzuto was included in the district of Isernia, and was part of the Comune of Monteroduni; in 1815 it became an independent commune in the district of Cantalupo del Sannio.
What to see
- The Castle, a typically medieval military structure with a cylindrical corner tower, which was in Renaissance times adapted as a mansion
- The medieval Church of Sant'Agata dated 1594 as can be read on an inscription on the portal, built next to the castle; near to the door there is also an inscription mentioning a restoration in 1752 by Libetti; the inside of the church, of great simplicity in the spirit of Christian humility and Franciscan poverty.
- The medieval center of Castelpizzuto is a very interesting example of rural borough in Southern Italy, almost unchanged as it was centuries ago. The only element of modernity is the bottling water industry.
- The ancient spring Folgara known dor time immemorial for its healthy and healing features.