Bagnoli del Trigno, Province of Isernia, Molise
Against the splendid scenery of the Trigno Valley, made of mountains, forests, calanques and tiny hamlets, this small town is called "the pearl of Molise".
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 681 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86091
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: San Vitale from Roma, celebrated on 20 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Colardoni, Coste di Sopra, Macchia La Cerva, Pozzo Canniello, Santa Maria, Santo Ianni, Santo Ianni Pescola.
Built around a huge rock dominating the Vella River, the huge Borrello fortress still rises, though greatly damaged in the centuries; the Borrello gave place to the Counts of Molise, then to Riccardo of Montefuscolo, the Cantelmo and Sanfelice families.
- On Christmas night, just before the birth of Jesus, an impressive procession with "n'docce" (torches) that accompanies the statues of Mary and Joseph.
What to see
- The church of San Silvestro, built partly in the rock, with stone steps leading up to the peculiar belltower.
- The Borrello castle
- The "casa romana", a beautiful medieval mansion in the heart of the historical center.