Tufara, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 418 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86010
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Giovanni Eremita on 28 August.
What to see
- The Lombard Castle, with a square plan, which in the centuries following the earliest construction took the form of a bean.
- Church of Santi Pietro e Paolo, built in 1170 and restored during the 18th century. The style is Romanesque, with sextiacute portals. The interior has three naves, decorated in Baroque style, and preserves a 17th-century painting of the Madonna with Child, and a chapel dedicated to San Giovanni from Tufara.
- There is a very deep worship among the population of San Giovanni Eremita, celebrated on 28 August and on 12 and 14 November: on these days the women collect "blessed" water from a fountain and use it to make a dough from which they form "panelle" believed to act as a protection against evil and disease.
In the Middle Ages Tufara was a fortress of the Lombards, as shown by the ruins of the castle; the first lords recorded were the Marzano until 1299, followed by the Gambatesa, Carafa and Pignatelli families. Until 1807 the village belonged to the Province of Capitanata.
Because of its location in the Fortore valley along the itinerary from the mountains of Abruzzo and Molise to the plains of Apulia, Tufara was always dependent on the transhumance economy prevalent in Abruzzo and Molise up to very recent times.