Spinete, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Located at the foot of the Matese Massif in the hills facing Boiano, the town is located on the top of a hill and slopes towards the valley. The temperate climate offers generally mild winters and cool summers. The name of Spinete (place of thorns) possibly derives from the wild features of the place.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 606 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1200 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Giovanni Battista on 24 June
- Frazioni & Localities: Anniballi, Caccavelli, Colantuono, Gennaretto, Iacovantuono, Macchie, Monte, Piana, Pietroneri, Salera, San Giovanni, Santa Croce, Sebbioni, Vicenne.
The place appears Catalogum Baronum of the mid-12th century as a fiefdom of Giuliano from Castropignano Other feudal Lords of the place were Matteo Sanfromondo, Matteo Trosso, Enrico Mormile, Francesco di Sangro and Ferrante Nobilione. When the French abolished feudalism in 1806 it was under the Imperato family.
What to see
- The castle, built by the Normans in the 11th century, then transformed into a palace in the Renaissance, and greatly damaged in the 1805 earthquake. Inside the courtyard there is a stone in the walls with a peculiar mermaid (a Christian symbol representing the dangers for a Christian soul).
- Medieval church of Santa Maria Assunta.