LogoLogo

Sepino, Province of Campobasso, Molise

Province of Campobasso
In the middle of the uncontaminated, green valley of the Tammaro river surrounded by the Matese mountains, Sepino is also a repository of thousands of years of glory, which make it a perfect destination for the lovers of nature and history, which is connected to the Matese mountain and the wealth of waters, still used today for the Sepinia mineral water and spa treatment.

Provinces of Molise

Info

  • Territory: mountainous
  • Population: about 2100 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 86017
  • Phone Area Code: 0874
  • Patron Saint: Santa Cristina on 9-10 January and on 23-24 July
  • Frazioni & Localities: Altilia, Brecciosa, Cantoni, Casalene, Collemarraco, Colli, Guadocavalli, Macchie, Pesco San Nicola, Petrilli, Piana d'Olmo, Pilone, Ponte di Tavole, Redealto, Rio Verdaro, Tratturo.

What to see

  • Archeological site of the Samnite town Saepins in Torrevecchia, of the 4th century BC, a fortress surrounded by cyclopic wars with 3 entrance doors. It was reused in the medieval period, as shown by the ruins of a small church. The acropolis inside was possibly the seat of the Samnite ruler (the "meddix tuticus").
  • Archeological site of the Roman town Saepinum/Altilia, inhabited up to the fourth century AD, with an outside perimeter of m 1250, surrounded by walls and four doors.
  • The spring of "Tre Fontane", whose water is used for kidney problems.
  • Church of Santa Cristina, with a mausoleum of bishop Antonio Attilio.

History - Antiquity

Sepino In the vicinity one of the best preserved dinosaurs in Europe was found. In the area called Terravecchia there was a prehistoric settlement of the early shepherds of the Bronze Age, then there rose the powerful ancient Samnite town of Ocre Saepinatz, one of the last in Italy to surrender to the Romans in 293 BC.

In the area of Altilia the Romans built the town called Saepinum at the crossing of two important communication paths, one coming from the Matese and the other the Pescasseroli-Candela tratturo, where they constructed aqueducts and spas.

History - The Middle Ages

After the fall of the Roman Empire, Saepinum became a Launguebard center with the name of Altilia (from the German alt-teil meaning old part). But the position in the plain made it very vulnerable which explains the movement of the population in the 8th century to a nearby hill where they built the Castellum Saepini while another part returned to the Samnite area of Terravecchia and built "Castrum Vetus" (=Castelvecchio).

In the early 7th century AD, Grimoald I of Benevento moved to present-day Sepino, Isernia and Bojano Bulgar refugees escaping from the Avars; the Bulgars were for many generations a distinctive part of the population, until finally assimilated in their Italian environment.

In the 11th century AD Sepino was under the Norman County of Bojano. After the 1456 earthquake also the inhabitants of Castelvecchio moved where today Sepino rises.

History - from the Renaissance onwards

In the 15th century Sepino was a flourishing center, also thanks to bishop Antonius Attilius, then under the de Molisio barons it was also seat of a Tribunal under the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, and among the ten most important centers in Molise. Then it was under other feudal lords: the Capua-Altavilla and the Carafa family. In 1805 a terrible earthquake destroyed most of the town and the castle.