San Polo Matese, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The picturesque little town rises on a rock all around an ancient tower. Once known in Molise as a place of origin of witches, it is still renowned all over central Italy for its "zampognari" (bagpipe players) who appear in the Christmastime along the streets of many Italian cities.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 730 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: San Nicola di Bari on 6 Deceber
- Frazioni & Localities: Fonteiaova, Sorbo, San Michele.
- The living crib on 26 - 27 December along the alleys of the medieval borough.
What to see
- Ruins of the medieval castle.
- Parish Church of San Pietro in Vincoli (13th century), almost completely remade in the following centuries, with a fine baptismal monument, and wooden statue of Virgin with Child dated 1755, a masterpiece by Paolantonio Di Zinno.
- In the house of the Rogati family, an artistic crib by Spanish artist Juan Mari Oliva, with figurines by Antonio Mazzeo.