Ripabottoni, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The center is located near the lake of Guardialfiera, and was seriously hit by the Molise Earthquake in 2002. The etymology of its strange name is from the early medieva "Ripa gotorum" (land of the Goths).
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 643 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 500 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86040
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: San Rocco, celebrated on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Cerro.
A legend says it was founded by the Goths, who invaded the Roman Empire in the 5th century AD. In 1181 the name appeared in records as "Ripabrunaldo", and under the Norman occupation it was a fiefdom of Giuliano from Castropignano. In the 17th century it was a fiefdom of the Carafa, followed by the Francone family, and finally of Ambrogio Caracciolo.
What to see
- Church of Assunta. Restored during the 18th century, with 43 painting by Paolo Gamba, the most important artist of Molise.
- Church of San Michele, built in 1733.