Pietracupa, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The little town, with its ancient, medieval center, rises on a rocky spur, an enormous limestone formation called "Morgia", in a very picturesque position. It is a summer holiday and hiking area.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 695 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 200 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Gregorio Papa on 10 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Pietracupa, Piana di Sciarra.
The fiefdom belonged in 1269 to Ugo di Brianzio, then passed in the 14th century to the D'Alemagna, then to the Carafa, followed by the Gaetani and the Della Marra, until thelast feudal lords, the Francone family.
What to see
- Church of Santissimo Sacramento.
- A very impressive tradition, the "nducciata", is repeated on Christmas Eve, when the people of the village lit torches to "warm up Jesus".