Petrella Tifernina, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The territory of this center goes from the mountain where the small hamlet of Castel di Rocca rises, at 863 meters above sea level, down to the green hills of the main center descending to the banks of the Biferno river. Down in the plain there is another recent settlement with modern houses called Castellino Nuovo.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 652 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86024
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Giorgio Martire on 23 April.
The name derives from "Pratella", recorded in the 12th century as a fiefdom of Norman Ruggero of Molise, then under the Anjou it was given to Raimondo and Berlingieri from Provence, France, who lost the title in favor of the Santangelo and later the Mormile families. The last feudal lords were the Pulce family.
What to see
- The Romanesque Church of San Giorgio Martire of the 13th century
- The Palace of the "Sette Medici".
- The very peculiar historical center, with fourteen small alleys, sided by ancient stone houses, going down the slope from the main street that leads to the church square.