Petacciato, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Situated in a beautiful position on a hill in the vicinity of the sea, it is however threatened by an unstable soil where a number of landslides have taken place in the last 50 years. It is one of the few centers in Molise that saw a population growth, thanks especially to the summer tourism in Petacciato Marina, with its fine beach and coastal pinewood.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 225 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, along the coastline
- Population: about 3800 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86038
- Phone Area Code: 0875
- Patron Saint: San Rocco on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Collecalcioni, Marina di Petacciato, Scalo Ferroviario.
The name Petacciato derives from "Civita potatius", in 1274 the fiefdom belonged to Godeffroy de Meliac, and in 1421 was attacked by the bands of Corrado Lupo, that made many victims. Attacked also by the Caldora in the 17th century, found finally some peace with the Duke of Celenza. Petacciato has been an independent municipality since 1923, while before it was a frazione of Guglionesi.
What to see
- Church of San Rocco of the 13th century with inside a fine crypt
- The Renassaince Palazzo Battiloro.