Montenero di Bisaccia, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The town rises on two hills, in the picturesque Biferno valley. On the larger hill is the church of San Giovanni.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 270 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, along the coastline
- Population: about 6500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86036
- Phone Area Code: 0875
- Patron Saint: S. Matteo Apostolo on 21 September.
It was inhabited since neolithic times, as shown in the tuff grottos near the village with carvings in the cave walls. In the Middle Ages the place was repeatedly sacked by the Saracens in the 9th century, then was later under the Borrello, Carafa, Caracciolo and Sangro families.
What to see
- Church of Maria Santissima di Bisaccia, located along the tratturo of Santa Maria Centurelle.
- Church of San Matteo Apostolo, with an organ of 1740.