Molise, Province of Campobasso, Molise
On a hill covered with forests, in the Trigno valley, relies mainly on agriculture - especially olive trees, vineyards and cereals - and sheep and cattle raising.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 868 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 180 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: Sant'Onorato on 5 July.
This village, among the smallest and least populated municipalities in the Province, gave the name to the whole region, since its feudal Lords, the Counts of Molise, became the rulers of wide territories in the region. The first feudal lords were the Counts of Montagano Evoli and Stendardo. Then in 1478 the village passed to Giovannella di Molisio and later to the Carafa and Della Posta families.
What to see
- Ruins of the Castle of the De Molinis Lords, with the rich coat of arms of the family.
- The church of San Nicola, inside a Madonna Statue dating back to the 13th century
- Sanctuary of the Madonna del Piano, 2 km outside the village, a place of pilgrimage for the inhabitants, where a procession is held on the 1st July.