Matrice, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Situated on the right bank of the Fiumarello stream, in the larger basin of the Fortore river, Matrice has a very interesting medieval center, rich af small squares and palaces with fine stone portals.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 688 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: Sant'Urbano
- Frazioni & Localities: Contrada Abbazia, Contrada Casone Pacca, Contrada Piano Casale, Contrada Scalo Ferroviario.
A place of transit and trade in the previous centuries, thanks to its position along the Cortile-Centocelle tratturo, it was heavily impoverished with the crisis of the pastoral economy of seasonal migrations of shepherds and flocks, and underwent a massive emigration in the early 20th century to the States, Canada and Brasil, and after the Second World War to other areas in Italy and Europe.
What to see
- Church of Santa Maria della Strada , 12th century, the most typical Romanesque church in Molise, with high reliefs in the facade representing the adventures of Fioravante and the Roncisvalle battle, and a three-nave inside, with the column capitals decorated by abruzzese sculptors Roberto, Nicodemo e Ruggero.
- Church of Sant'Antonio
- Fontana of San Salvatore
- Renaissance Palazzo Ciaccia.