Lupara, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Lupara rises on a hill sloping down to the left of the Biferno river. In the early 1100 it was called Luparia, possibly from thepresence of wolves in the countryside. Other etymologies derive the name froa a herb, "luparia", or from "Lup-erc-aria", pagan rites in honor of the god Lupercus.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 561 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 480 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Nicola on December 6.
What to see
- Ruins of the massive Medieval Castle
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta; its facade preserves romanesque sculpture, among them the shape of a wolf, from which the place takes its name.
The first historical mention was in 1148, when the place was under Ugone Marchisio. Later on it passed to the Luparia family, the Caracciolo and the Di Sangro, until Alessandro Marcello Pignone del Carretto who was the last lord when the feudal system was abolished in 1806.