Larino, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 340 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 6600 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86035
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: San Pardo on 25-27 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Travaglini, Vizzarri.
History - Antiquity
History - from the Middle Ages onwards
In 1656 a terrible plague exterminated the population: many thousands of people died and the only 373 survivors decided to abandon the town, but thanks to the energy of their bishop Guseppe Catalano they came back and the population started to grow again.
- 15 May, the Feast of San Primiano, with a procession of children carrying colored standards
- 25-27 May, the Sagra of San Pardo, with a parade of decorated waggons drawn by oxen.
What to see - Monuments
- The Townhall, previously the mansion of the Carafa and Sangro lords, with a solar clock coming from the Roman ruins of Larinum, inside also Roman tombstones and mosaics of the 3rd century AD.
- The ancient historical center, with medieval mansions, alleys and towers, which create a very special atmosphere.
- The Ara Frentana, just outside the town, near the railway station, where many fragments of the ancient Larinum are collected.
What to see - Religious Architecture
- The Church of San Francesco, with beautiful art works inside: in the dome, a fresco with Mary crowned by Jesus, by Paolo Gamba (1717-1782) from Ripabottoni; over the door a painting with Jesus driving the merchants out of the Temple, probably by Francesco Solimena (1657-1747) from Canale.
- The Cathedral of the Assunta and San Pardo, a gothic church completed in 1319, with a magnificent portal made by Francesco Petrini from Lanciano, surmounted by a lunette with a high-relief. Over the portal, a giant rosewindow in the Apulian style. The interior, divided into 3 naves and restored to its pristine austere forms in the 1950's, houses beautiful art pieces, among them a silver bust of St. Pardo and low-reliefs in carved wood telling the story of the translation of the Body of San Pardo from Lucera to Larino in the year 842. Right of the facade rises a massive bell-tower in bricks.