Guglionesi, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The town lies amid fields, olive trees and vineyards, on a hill hovering on the Biferno river, and is the largest in Molise, with an area of a little over 100 km².
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 369 m a.s.l
- Territory: mostly hills along the coastline
- Population: about 5200 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86034
- Phone Area Code: 0875
- Patron Saint: Sant'Adamo Abate, celebrated on 3 June
A famous Benedictin abbot, Adam, was a promoter of the unification of the Southern populations under Ruggero II. Lords of the place were the D'Avalos family. In 1496 Guglionesi was sacked by the French armies of Charles VIII.
What to see
- Santa Maria Maggiore, which rises on an ancient crypt, contains the relics of the blessed Adam, founder of the church.
- Church of San Nicola founded in the 12th century, is a fine romanesque church in the Apulian style.
- The Palazzo Ducale with a beautiful ancient portal.