Gildone, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The area was inhabited since very ancient times, as shown by a Samnite necropolis in the area called Morgia.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 608 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86010
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Maria Grazie, celebrated on 5 August
- Frazioni & Localities: San Martino, Villaggio San Sebastiano.
What to see
- Parish Church of San Sabino, of very ancient origin, restored in 1690.
- Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, with a fine tryptich.
Gildone had a great importance in the Middle Ages thanks to its powerful lords, Rao Falco Graone, cardinal Orsini, the Sanfromondo family and pope Benedict XII who came here to consecrate the churcfes of San Sabino and Sant'Antonio Abate.