Fossalto, Province of Campobasso, Molise
This little town was previously called "Fossacoeca" (=blind ditch) for its position on a hill at the far end of the Vallone delle Case.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 5 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Nicola on 9 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Fossalto, Sant'Agnese.
In 1269 it is recorded in documents of the Angevin administration as belonging to Guglielmo Stendardo, an ambassador of king Charles I Anjou. Other feudal lords were the Sanfromondo in the 15th century, the di Capua in the 16th, then the Piscelli, Carafa and lastly the Mascione.
What to see
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta, In the apse, frescoes by Paolo Gamba from Ripabottoni, a painter of the 18th century, representing Isaac's sacrifice, the transport of the Ark, and Cain and Abel.
- Church of Sant'Antonio from Padua, with a magnificent altar in carved gilted wood, the work of Sevignano Francesco, dated 1680, and a painting by Bartolomeo de Core from Naples, of the same period.
- Palazzo baronale of the Mascione family
- Grottos in Pietracupa, a few km away, used as homes until recent times.