Duronia, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The name comes from an ancient Samnite town that was conquered by the Roman consul Papirius Cursor in 293 B.C., and was reused again for the present town only after 1875. Until then, the name was Civitavecchia, from the hill called "civita", where a wide panorama as far as the Majella can be enjoyed.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 918 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Nicola on 6 December
- Frazioni & Localities: Casale, Duronia, Agostino, Cappiello, Casalotto, Faito, Giliotto, Licco, Madonnella, Morgia, Mustaccio, Nerico, Valloni.
What to see
- Megalitic Walls, on the hill above the town.
- Picturesque woods and calanques all around.