Cercemaggiore, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Provinces of Molise
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 982 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 4400 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86012
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Patron Saint: S. Vincenzo celebrated on September 11
It was also occupied by the Saracens, and later, in the 11th century, by the Normans. All these populations left their traces in the monuments and the culture. It is today a favourite starting point for those who love trekking and horse riding along the ancient "tratturi" of the Sannio.
What to see
- Parish Church of Santa Maria della Croce, very ancient, restored in the late 16th century and again after the 1807 earthquake. The church hosts paintings by Benedetto Brunetti from Oratino, a painter of the 17th century.
- The Castle.
- Church of Santa Maria da Monte, on the top of the nearby Monte dell'Assunta, which was built, according to the tradition, on the site of a Pagan temple.
- Summit of Monte Saraceno, with a wide view on the surrounding areas.
- Church of Santa Maria della Libera, 2 km from the town, built in 1412 in the Romanesque style and a favourite destination of pilgrims, containing fine works of art, such as a wooden statue of San Vincenzo Ferreri by Paolo Saverio di Zinno from Campobasso (18th century). A painting of Madonna di Costantinopoli, by Tommaso Guarino; another painting of the Virgin Mary and Saints by Sebastiano Pasquale from Capua, 1612; near the altar two ancient Roman stone lions.