Bonefro, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Near the spring of the Tona stream, the town enjoys a fine view on the valley as far as the seaside, among wide hills.
Bonefro was inhabited since very ancient times, though the earliest historical docuemnts date back to the late 10th century; it was part of the Norman countdom of Loritello, then other feudal lords were Atenolfo De Stipite, and the Boccapianola and De Guevara families. A very typical tradition is repeated on the Epiphany, when groups of musicians go from house to house singing folk motifs.
Provinces of Molise
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 606 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86041
- Phone Area Code: 0874
- Frazioni & Localities: San Vito.
What to see
- Parish church, with a precious marble altar and 16th century crucifix.
- The castle was probably originally built by the Lombards and has still two towers and remains of the walls
- Beautiful Fountains: Fonte dei Ciechi and Fonte Pie' della Terra.