LogoLogo

Fermo, Province of Fermo, Marche region, Italy

A splendidly preserved medieval town, Fermo rises at the foot of the Sabulo Hill, 6 km from the sea

Its unmistakable skyline is dominated by the profile of the Cathedral, and the palaces that still bear witness of its grorious medieval past, when it was the largest town in the region and capital of a Marquisdom going as far as Vasto in Southern Abruzzo.

Info

Altitude: 319 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 37,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 63023 -- Phone Area Code: 0734 -- Patron Saint: Santa Maria Assunta celebrated on 15th August celebrated on -- GPS Coordinates: 43°9'56"N 13°43'27"E -- Useful links: official website of the Comune www.fermo.net, website of the Pro Loco Association www.prolocofermo.it | a map of Fermo

What to see

province of Fermo

Administrative division

Fermo comprises the following "Frazioni" & Localities: Boara, Camera, Cantagallo, Capodarco, Cartiera di Tenna, Campiglione, Ete Palazzina, Faleriense, Gabbiano, Girola, Lido di Fermo, Madonnetta d'Ete, Marina Palmense, Moie, Molini Tenna, Montesecco, Parete, Pompeiana, Ponte Ete Vivo, Sacri Cuori, Salette, Salvano, San Biagio, San Lorenzo, San Marco, San Michele, San Tommaso, Santa Caterina, Torre di Palme, Villa San Claudio, San Girolamo, Santa Petronilla.

History

Fermo was inhabited since the 11th century BC by Villanovian people, later by the Piceni and subsequently became a foederata civitas (ally) of Rome, to which it remained loyal during both the second Punic war and the Social war, and later became an important Roman municipium in the Quinta Regio or Picenum.

After the fall of the Roman Empire and a dark period of invasions, in the year 825 AD Lothair I, king of Italy and later Holy Roman Emperor, established in Fermo the first public school in Italy, and made it the capital of the Marca Fermana going from the Musone to the Pescara river.

In 1199 Fermo became a free Commune, and in the following centuries was often at war with nearby castles; at that time the mighty fortress called Rocca di Girfalco was erected, which was to be razed to the ground during a rebellion of the population in 1445 as a symbol of the hideous feudal power.

Events

Where to stay

Follow us on Facebook: